January 18, 2014

Book haul: Half Price Books

A week ago I went to the used bookstore called Half Price Books. I got some things from the young adult section and did pretty well in the clearance section. The clearance section is categorized by genre, which I didn't know before so I never looked around in it because I thought it would be overwhelming and full of uninteresting books. Yea, I was wrong!


I only had an hour-ish to look around, and I wasn't spending my own money (thank you to my boyfriend, who doesn't read books but buys them for me) which is why I didn't go crazy like I normally might have. I've got a list of books I want to add to my collection that are on my TBR, but I didn't look at that list while I was shopping or I would have easily blown through Tanner's last paycheck.


Books I've been meaning to add to my collection are Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, and TTYL by Lauren Myracle. Strange as it sounds, I've read both but don't own them. I do own, however, Love, Stargirl, TTFN, and L8R G8R. So now those series are complete in my bookshelf.

Books I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I haven't read are The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and Holes by Louis Sachar. But I've seen their movies, which adds a degree of shame to my embarrassment.

I picked up Emma for the sake of it being a Jane Austin novel, who I want to start reading this year. I picked up Jay's Journal because I have Go Ask Alice in e-book. But I might sell Jay's Journal back because Go Ask Alice was very disappointing for me and I don't imagine Jay's Journal would be any better, according to some Goodreads reviews. I usually don't depend so heavily on reviews but I should have taken people's word for Go Ask Alice. And finally, I picked up The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han because it sounded interesting and was only a dollar. 

Tanner might have thrown away the receipt by now, and I don't recall the exact cost, but I believe it was about 15 dollars in total. I think I did pretty well!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sure you'll LOVE Emma. I love love love Jane Austen's books and I get so frustrated when people just decide they don't like her writing even if they haven't read anything from her - I'm so glad you've picked up one of her books! My favourite of hers would have to be Pride and Prejudice. I re-read it at least one (often twice) a year. :')

    I absolutely adore the movie adaptation of The Notebook, but when I actually got round to reading the book... Well, let's just say I was disappointed. I look forward to hearing what you thought of that one. ;)

    Thank you for following Late Night Lamplight (http://latenightlamplight.blogspot.co.uk/), by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own Pride and Prejudice as well, and I plan on reading that before Emma because it's a thinner read lol :)

      You're welcome, and thank you for commenting on my post!!

      Delete

Comments, questions, concerns?